Please consider supporting Chat27 by using one of the products below:
Chat Safety Tips
In this section I want to make sure people are informed about the dangers of chatting. I’ll be adding to it as I get information that I think is relevant.
This video is very informative for those using chat rooms and social networks. It’s aimed at the youngsters, but the same principle applies to everyone I think.
More safety tips:
Being online does have its dangers. Predators always take advantage of those who don’t know how to protect themselves or what they may be getting into. Children are especially susceptible. Following are some tips that will help you and those you care about stay safe while chatting online:
- NEVER give personal information online. Your real name, address, telephone number, sex and age should be kept to yourself when meeting people online. If someone presses you for this information they probably don’t have good intentions. Legitimate users will understand your desire for protecting your privacy.
- Use EXTREME caution when agreeing to meet in person with someone you’ve met online. Always meet in a public place and always take someone with you. If you are under 18, NEVER meet with someone without taking a parent with you.
- Choose your screen name carefully. Choose something that is gender neutral and fun. Choosing something risqu for your user name will attract the wrong kind of crowd and is not appropriate for professional uses.
- Never respond to any inappropriate solicitations or comments that make you uncomfortable.
- Never believe everything you read in a profile, on a message board or in a chat. Often, people pretend or role play, either for entertainment, to hide or for other ulterior motives.
- Avoid engaging in arguments online. There are those who provoke this kind of behavior on purpose. Resist the urge to fire back and move on.
- Know the rules of the chat rooms you visit and follow them.
- Don’t post negative or personal information of others without permission.
- Never accept files or downloads that you aren’t expecting or from people you don’t know. You may receive a virus, spam or other inappropriate material.
- Know how to make copies or logs of your chat conversations.
- Utilize the protection and safety features offered by chatting software. Some have settings that block unwanted users, allow you to ignore chatters that behave inappropriately and so on.
- Know how to contact the moderator of your chat room.
- Be nice and mind your netiquette.
- Following these tips will help you enjoy the benefits of online chatting whether it is through text, video or voice. The Internet provides many resources that make life more convenient. However, always be aware that some people do not have good intentions or are mischievous, so be smart, think before you type and obey the rules of netiquette.